This post is sponsored by Starbucks but the opinions are completely my own based on my own experience.
I love everything warm and cozy feeling about the holidays. Spending time with family, warm food, warm drinks, having a fire in the fireplace. These are the memories that really stick with me from joyous holidays of the past and the type I want to create with my family moving forward. As a kid (well, even now) my dad would always have coffee cake to have for breakfast over the holidays. So this year I made one from scratch and added cinnamon and fresh apples to start our morning with for Thanksgiving and it turned out so, so delicious. It’s going to be perfect heated up tomorrow to eat along with a cup of Starbucks® coffee brewed at home.
I’m not a huge coffee drinker. I save that role for my husband. But these Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Cafe Latte K-Cup® Pods are out of this world delicious. You seriously put the peppermint mocha flavoring in a cup, and then brew the pod, stir, and you have a delicious coffeehouse quality drink in just a couple minutes. But what else would you expect from Starbucks right? My husband and dad aren’t ones for flavored coffee so they will be enjoying the Starbucks Holiday Blend coffee. My husband seriously stocks up on this stuff this time of year so that he can drink it all year round because he says it’s that good. I liked that Walmart had a big selection of Starbucks coffee blends and plenty of packages of the holiday blend for me to go ahead and start a collection of it for Tom. Plus right now Walmart has a deal where you receive 75 stars with the purchase of any 3 qualifying Starbucks products at Walmart by 12/26/16, but you can read more about that here.
But back to this coffee crumb cake. It pairs great with any flavor of coffee, and is a lot of fun to bake for your family this holiday season, or really year round because coffee cake is always delicious.
Here’s what you need:
2 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Allspice
1/2 Cup Butter – Melted
4 Tablespoons Butter – Softened
2 Teaspoons Vanilla
2 Large Apples Peeled and Chopped
1 Large Egg
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Cup Confectioner’s Sugar
1 Tablespoon Apple Juice
Here’s what you do:
(1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of a 9 inch round cake pan.
(2) Start with making the cinnamon crumbs! In a large bowl whisk together 1 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, and allspice until well mixed. Then slowly stir in with a wooden spoon the melted butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla until well combined. Use your hands if you need to to get it really mixed together.
(3) In another large bowl mix together 1 cup flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder, set aside.
(4) Using an electric mixer mix the softened butter with 1/2 cup sugar until well combined and slightly fluffy. Add in the 1 egg, followed by vanilla and sour cream. Slowly beat in the flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder mixture until combined.
(5) Spread half the batter along bottom of pan and attempt to spread evenly. Then layer the apples evenly on top and then layer half the cinnamon mix on top of that. Top with the rest of the batter and then the rest of the cinnamon mix.
(6) Bake for 40 minutes, then allow to cool completely before removing from cake pan (using a spatula helps).
(7) Combine the confectioner’s sugar and apple juice for an easy glaze to top cake slices with. Serve and enjoy!
Like this post? Find more holiday inspiration and #JoyCheerStarbucks #CoffeeAtHome at the Walmart and Starbucks coffee hub!
Chanel van Reenen says
coffee crumb cake is my favorite. and starbucks peppermint mochas are my favorite too. you literally read my mind with this post. I am making this this weekend for sure!
Ashley Peavey says
Yummy, what a perfect pair!!
Erika Ortega says
I want to try and attempt to do this. Thanks for sharing this recipe
Mm looks so good! Love Starbucks and that cake is the perfect compliment!
Jennifer Brown says
Yum! This looks delicious! Love peppermint mochas!
That coffee cake looks amazing! I never thought to add apples to it. Also I need to get the peppermint mocha latte coffee because my husband will freak out (with excitement of course) if I tell him about this!
I love apple desserts!! this looks amazing!
That looks so amazing! Yum!
Kristy / Seven Graces says
That looks so good!
Daily Delivered says
Oh my word. I just want anything with cooked apples right now~ Looks delish!
They are the perfect pair. So delish!!
Meg O. says
The Starbucks Christmas blend coffee is my favorite! Also… gimme that coffee cake!!
Mouth is watering!
Starbucks and homemade coffee cake yum! When can I come over
That looks so delicious! Apple crumb cake is one of my favorite dessert and also Starbucks coffee.
Now I need Coffee and cake! Great post!
Katherine Petrunia says
Ooh this looks amazing! Definitely going to try this recipe soon. 🙂
We are not coffee drinkers, but that cake…omg. Yesss!